Friday, May 7, 2010

The Conversation

The Conversation is a great film that showed the paranoid feeling of the 70's. Harry Caul played by Gene Hackman is a private surveillance expert who records a couples conversation and as he starts to edit the tape he finds the people are in fear of being murdered.

To me this is a film that pertains to today a lot. When we found out about George W. Bush allowing wiretapping, there were many people that were just as scared as Harry Caul. Even now some people are scared to have private conversations on cell phones and land lines. Honestley, I don't blame them. I might not be as paranoid as some people but you never know if someone is listening in on your conversations. Actually, I just think that my life isn't nearly exciting enough for anyone to want to listen to what I have to say.

My dad and I have always had about the same political views and the exact same sense of humor. So my dad and I decided we wanted the government to listen in on our conversations and we came up with a plan. Once the wiretapping news came out Bush said they were only listening to certain flagged words. We figured the more we used these "flagged words" the more likely the government would listen in. For about the next year my dad and I used the same greeting and good bye. "Terrorist, Bomb threat, president". I don't think they ever actually listened in on us but if they did we accomplished our job.

No comments:

Post a Comment